FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!
2/19/10 Bob, about 65
I took some time out of a busy day to stop by a laundromat, looking for someone to share the greatest news I have ever heard with. I spoke with Bob, along with his younger female friend, and from the start they seemed "churched" - referring to several lesser known Bible passages and very much at ease in talking about their faith. I began to wonder, though, when Bob said he is "working hard" to get to heaven. It was tempting to just assume they were believers and have a nice conversation on that basis, but I felt I needed to find out what Bob puts his trust in for salvation so I painstakingly put him through the "good person" test. It was difficult because Bob likes to talk a lot and easily gets off the subject. I had to repeatedly ask pointed questions to get him back on track and eventually found out that Bob and his friend believe their "good will outweigh their bad" and they will go to heaven - salvation by works rather than by faith. My repeated attempts to get the conversation back on the gospel was starting to wear out its welcome, so I switched to a less confrontational approach - sharing my own testimony. I told how I came to understand that I couldn't earn my way to heaven with good works, but Christ paid the cost of my sins on the cross and now I live for Him, doing good works out of love and gratitude rather than obligation. If anything I am the one learning something from my time spent with Bob - how to take time out to share God's love with others.

No comments: