FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!
3/27/10 Devon and Perry, about 20
I hadn't been out much all day so I went specifically to look for a witnessing opportunity. First I went to a McDonalds, but instead of praying or getting out of the car right away I sat and shrank back in fear as I saw all the people sitting at their tables. The same thing happened at Starbucks, where after I bought my coffee I was too intimidated to talk to anyone and just sat alone at a table feeling foolish. It reminded me of times I've been in a mosquito-infested woods where I was all right as long as I kept moving but once I sat still I was under attack, only in this instance it was my own doubts or fears or maybe even demonic forces that attacked me as I sat still rather than go boldly forward. I left Starbucks and within a minute or so began a conversation with Devon and Perry, two African-American college students who asked me for change for bus fare. This led to a long and animated conversation with Devon while Perry listened. Devon grew up Baptist, but no longer attends church because he feels that "I don't need to go to church to worship God." He believes he will go to heaven because he does more good than bad in life, but when I asked how he has kept some of the Ten Commandments, personalizing them by asking about them individually, he realized he had even broken a few there on the sidewalk just before he asked me for money. After exposure to God's law in this way, Devon was ready for God's grace. He wanted to know about the Savior because he knew he needed to be saved from the punishment he justly deserves. After sharing the good news of Jesus, both Devon and Perry agreed that they need to get right with God. I challenged them to do so today and prayed with them that God would help them in this. I probably should have given them more direction at this point. I still wrestle with discerning the difference between true repentance and belief and mere mental assent to the Gospel.

No comments: