FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!
4/28/10 Candace, about 20
Today I brought Pat (a faithful senior at our church) to a local delicatessen to look for a witnessing conversation. We met a young lady (Candace) at a booth and asked if we could talk with her. Candace grew up with no church background, and has only attended church a few times with some churchgoing friends. She believes God exists but has no idea what He must be like. I told her of the Bible's teaching about God's judgment day and asked how she would be judged, and she said "I believe I will go to heaven. Why? Because I'm a positive and enthusiastic person." Indeed she is very bubbly and outgoing, and I told her so. So how does one even talk of the whole counsel of "the kindness and sternness of God" (Romans 11:22) without putting a damper on an otherwise friendly and polite conversation? Well at this point I told Candace "But you know you're not perfect, so the real question is 'How good does one need to be, in order to go to Heaven?' She saw my point, and agreed to take my "good person quiz" to see how she would do according to God's standard, the Ten Commandments. I started by asking how many commandments she knew, which was one and "Thou shall not lie to your parents" which I didn't know whether to count as two more or only half right. Anyway, despite its serious nature, the good person test usually produces some nervous laughter, and by the end people are usually both humbled and ready to hear more hard truth, hoping there is a way to escape God's justice. Unfortunately, Candace had to get to work, so I had to present an abbreviated Gospel message and hope it caught her attention enough for her to read the additional info I gave her.

No comments: