FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!
4/7/10 Louise, about 65
At a laundromat I offered a Million Dollar Bill tract with President Obama on it to an elderly lady (Louise). "What would I want this for?" she said in a crabby voice. I replied, "It's a fun collector's item, and it also has a Gospel message on the back. I'm from a church nearby" She responded "What kind of church is it? I'm looking for a church, because I'm tired of all the scandals in the Catholic Church." As we talked I realized that Louise has a very short attention span. not because of being distracted by the things of the world like Kwamee and his friends yesterday, but because she just mentally doesn't seem to grasp the meaning or significance of things.  It has me thinking a lot lately about what true faith in Jesus is all about.  Does a person necessarily need to know why or how Jesus saves us in order for us to trust him?  C.S.Lewis, in his classic book "Mere Christianity" explained it by pointing out that a person doesn't need to know all the details about how food benefits the body in order for it to sustain him.  He just needs to eat it!   Although Louise asked me a lot of good questions, she would move on to another subject halfway through my answers. She couldn't really follow the usual line of logic that forms the framework of my Gospel conversations. I could tell that her trust is simply "if I am a good person I will go to heaven", but I soon gave up on making sense logically about spiritual things and just tried to be a good listener, to ask about her faith and to give her my undivided attention for a few minutes. She really warmed up to this, and by the end of our conversation I had made a new friend.

No comments: