FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!
11/1/10     Jerry. 17
After work today I talked with Jerry, an African-American and a senior in high school. I had shared the gospel with him about two years ago, and he clearly has been doing a lot of thinking since then. We talked for an hour and a half about origins, God's existence and the nature of the Christian faith. Although Jerry favors science and doesn't believe in God, he says he isn't an atheist either. He understands that a true scientist shouldn't rule out any possibilities as part of the scientific method - including the possibility of God's supernatural involvement. In addition to his intellectual doubts, Jerry also has theological questions, about things such as free will and the existence of hell. The conversation continued for so long because he felt free to ask these questions without my judging him and, maybe even more importantly, without my thinking I was convincing him. I kept reminding him as I explained things that I know he doesn't necessarily agree with me but is nodding merely to affirm that he understands what I am saying. I believe this is a key thing to do in conversations - let your listener know that they don't have to agree with everything you say, but ask if they'll hear you out just so they can better understand what Christians believe. On this basis, Jerry heard a very complete gospel presentation and knows the choices and consequences that stand before him, if God does exist.

No comments: