FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!
How NOT to witness...
While shopping for car insurance I was asked if I'd like a free quote for an extended car warranty. "Why not" I thought, picturing a quick minute on the phone to satisfy my curiosity. So today a car warranty salesman called, going through a long process of questions about my car and a masterful sales pitch that made it hard to say no without feeling like a jerk after he had gone to all that trouble. Well, when I finally heard the quote I said I needed time to think about it. Truth be told, I didn't really intend to get one in the first place. Finally the salesman told me he would try to get a special deal if he could get his manager's approval. After several minutes the "manager" came on the phone, telling how he could get several hundred dollars knocked off the price by using a dealer's private number and claiming the warranty was sold through a dealer referral. Suddenly I had an idea, thinking maybe I could turn this into a witnessing conversation or at least get off the phone. "So basically what you want me to do is lie, saying that I was referred by a car dealer when you know perfectly well I wasn't, and you want to lie about it too. And you expect me to do business with you on that basis?" I said, from my high horse of self-righteousness. But this guy knew better. "There must be some other reason you don't want the warranty". Uh oh, he was right, I had to admit there was. I never really intended to buy one, and just wanted an excuse to get off the phone, or start a gospel conversation. I never told him I am a Christian and I'm kind of glad, because I wasn't acting like one. Maybe I could have apologized and redeemed the situation, but I didn't. Our "law to the proud, grace to the humble" message needs to come only from humble people, and today I was disqualified.

No comments: