FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!
12/30/10 Dave, about 30
Late tonight I found Dave, a positive and friendly young man, in the liquor section at the grocery store, using a MDB tract to help start a conversation. He laughed that his belief in God depends on his mood. In general he doesn't believe but tries to have an open mind to the possibility. He thought maybe later in life he might take religion more seriously. He grew up Catholic, but he and his wife are not churchgoers. He would like his 3 children (all under 10) to be Catholic, mainly because he believes it promotes good morals, so I talked about this a while: "Your children are young, but I have three teenagers and, believe me, when your kids get older they are going to see some inconsistencies in your life. Your relationship with God isn't just affecting you but your children also. I hope you'll take it as friendly advice that you need to take God seriously now, before its too late." I began to explain about God's judgment according to the law and our need for faith in Christ, and Dave was very positive about all this, but a few glances toward the cashiers told me he was in a hurry so I asked if he needed to get going. He did, and I told him I'd make it quick. I think this is important because I reassured him that I was sensitive to his need to leave and it gave me a chance to sum up what I needed to say more quickly. This is part of what I think it means to be "winsome". The truths of the gospel can be confrontational, but we Christians don't need to distract from its message by our own insensitivity or rudeness.

No comments: