FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!
12/9/10    Dave, Sam     both 22
As they finished their meal at a Subway restaurant, I asked two young men, Sam and his friend Dave who had just returned back to the neighborhood after graduating from college, if they'd be willing to answer a few questions about their beliefs. Sam described himself as a "seeker", having tried to learn about all religions and definitely believes that there is some sort of higher power out there. Dave was a little more reserved, not sure if God exists but they both agreed that they take a "cafeteria" approach to religion, picking and choosing what ideas they will accept or reject. At this point I was glad my purpose was not to debate the merits of Christianity over every other religion. Instead I could talk about something Dave and Sam both agreed with me on - the existence of a moral law and their failure to keep it. This made sense to them and they could see that the common thread of most major religions and many who call themselves Christians is a belief in man's ability to earn an eternal reward through ones moral efforts, but as I explained, they would be found guilty on judgment day, deserving punishment rather than a heavenly reward. Unfortunately, they had to leave at this point but my hope is that Sam, the "seeker", will read the "Why Christianity" booklet I gave him to see why it is not good people but forgiven people who have the hope of heaven.

No comments: