FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!
3/25/11 Scott, 46
I walked by a home undergoing renovations and talked to one of the workers – Scott - as he rested from shoveling rock out front. He assured me he wasn’t paid by the hour and was glad to answer my questions about his beliefs. Scott has a non-denominational Christian background but is much more interested in constructing his own set of beliefs from a wide variety of religions. In the same way he has come to some very strong opinions about God, not based on the authority of the Bible, but from his own intellect and imagination. He has relatives still involved in church, but views them as hypocrites and an aunt who has tried to witness to him as being “too preachy”. Some strongly worded statements later in our conversation helped me understand why he has developed his own ideas about God: “Who does he think he is, that He would judge me?” I don’t fear God and will never bow down to Him and I don’t think He has the right to expect me to do so” “If he wants to judge me, have at it – I have a few questions for him myself” "I’d rather keep keep my sins here on earth than get bored in Heaven” Scott didn’t seem angry - just opinionated. He appreciated that I allowed for a two-way conversation rather than preaching at him. With his church background I think he probably expected me to beg him to accept Jesus - which I’m sure he has heard before - but my main point was simply that “the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom” and without that reverent fear of God he wasn’t ready for the rest of what I had to tell him. He seemed surprised that I was leaving and even apologized for his opinionated tone, thanking me for stopping to talk and glad to get my contact info and the book I gave him – Cahill’s “Öne Second After You….Die”.

No comments: