FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!
7/22/11 Rick mid 50's
Witnessing regularly has exposed me to many of the different forms that human pride can take, and I am reminded that I am not exempt. I believe it is pride that is behind the current rise of conspiracy theorists, with the idea that they somehow have access or insight to inside information that the general public does not. The same can often be said for those who subscribe to obscure beliefs and cult groups, much like the Gnostics of the first century. Today I asked a bicyclist on the sidewalk named Rick about his beliefs. I got an earful about some obscure religious theories that were all related to ancient Hindu vedas or texts. Rick grew up in a Catholic family but never really took Catholicism seriously. He was introduced to his current beliefs by a Hindu faith healer during a serious illness and he spoke about them with a great deal of pride and an authoritative tone. He has a niece whom he described as a born-again Christian and has had some discussions with her about religion. Because of that, I think, he had a "heard it all before" view toward Christianity and left the conversation before I could get much of a word in. In hindsight, I believe that even though he's had these discussions the "law and grace" approach in sharing the Gospel is probably something Rick hasn't heard before - since so many people choose to ignore the law and simply focus on grace - and I wish I would have "set the hook" with the law before letting this fish get away.

No comments: