FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!
8/4/11 Nester , about 40
The "law to the proud, grace to the humble" approach that Jesus used has opened my eyes to just how widespread and deep the problem of human pride is. I rarely if ever find unbelievers who are truly humble and aware of their own depravity. Take Nester, for example, whom I met at the park today. His selfish lifestyle had brought him close to rock bottom and he had almost lost his job, home, and loved ones. Someone had reached out to him - much like I was doing he told me - and he had responded by coming back to God and the Catholic church he had grown up in. He is now involved in a somewhat intensive Catholic catechism for adults. He decribes himself as garbage compared to God and unworthy of salvation, and he was truly appreciative that God is giving him a second chance. I assured him that humility and repentence are indeed necessary for a right relationship with God and spoke of the need for faith in Jesus alone. Yet of course he, like all of us, really isn't aware of the horrible depth of his sin. I suspect that he sees a "normal" lifestyle a being good and worthy in God's eyes, and I fear that if he overcomes his sinful habits he will feel worthy of God's favor like most other people. I felt it necessary to share the law without discouraging Nester from the humble path he is on, so I used the law as a mirror revealing our sin. But instead of looking at Nester in the mirror of the Ten Commandments, I looked at myself. I wanted him to see that no matter how respectable our lifestyle, we are all in dire need of the forgiveness that only comes through Jesus.

No comments: