FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!
10/28/11     Sean,    early 20's
At work yesterday a colleague explained a theory as to why autistic people often have trouble making eye contact in conversations. Their focus on listening is easily distracted by input from the sight of the person talking and the social need to respond, so they look away instead. This gives the impression that they aren't listening when in fact they really are. I believe it was no coincidence that that evening I ran into just such a person - Sean - while witnessing. Sean showed autistic tendencies and acted uninterested, looking away while we talked and even turning his body in the opposite direction. He gave the impression he didn't want to talk, yet we had a reasonably long conversation. He had thought about his faith and had some insightful questions. Had I not had the earlier conversation about autism, I think I would have given up early, assuming Sean didn't want to talk. I love the Lord's timing!

No comments: