FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

Information Overload

12/14/11    Jose,   about 30

In an age of information overload, what is the most important part of the Gospel message?

I found Jose, a businessman, working on his laptop at a McDonald's. I said "Excuse me, I don't mean to bother you but I'm wondering if you have a few minutes for an interesting question?"

My question about his views on eternity led to an hour-long conversation, which ranged from hearing his different and far-fetched theories about the afterlife to considering the implications if what the Bible teaches is, in fact, true.

Jose had a lot of questions and insights along the way. In the end he came to a mental agreement of his need for forgiveness on judgment day. He described his belief in God (and, by extension, his need for forgiveness) as 50/50, so the heartfelt conviction didn't seem to be there.

Toward the end of our conversation I began to feel like this was information overload; we had covered so much ground and the truths I shared didn't have much time to soak in. I felt like sharing the good news of salvation might be giving him easy and trite answers to questions he hadn't yet formed in his mind, but I also didn't want to just share the bad news of God's judgment of his sin without telling him the good news of God's grace in Christ.

What to do?

I told him about Jesus. I have to believe that of all we talked about, God will bring to mind exactly what He wanted Jose to hear.

No comments: