FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!
1/22/12 Ken, about 40
On my way home from church today I stopped at a McDonald's hoping to share the Gospel. I found an African-American man dressed in a suit, looking like he had either just come from church himself or was a businessman. He - Ken - was willing to answer my questions so I sat down to talk. As it turned out he is a bodyguard by trade and had an appointment to keep, but he had 10 or 15 minutes to talk. Ken said he believes in God and a God-given purpose in life - "to make the best use of one's gifts and talents" - but he doesn't believe in heaven or hell. He thinks that one's soul goes on to influence the lives of others, particularly ones descendants. He believes that very little of what the Bible says is true, because there are so many different denominations within Christianity. He said he doesn't believe that the idea of being accountable to God on judgment day is even possible, yet he believes in those things that all major religions share in common. Where does one go with a conversation like this? I knew my time was limited, so I just touched on a few things Ken didn't seem to have thought of, like the exclusive claims of Christ to be God; the predictions of Christ about many false teachers; and the desire of God to make His will known for all to see in the Bible. Finally I asked if, even though he doesn't believe it, does he have at least a basic understanding of the Bible's message? "Do you have any idea why this man who was hung on a cross 2000 years ago would have anything to do with us today?" I asked. This started a good discussion, but, unfortunately, Ken had to get to his appointment. I gave him a booklet about that very topic, and, hopefully, I also stirred up the curiosity he will need to read it.

No comments: