FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!
4/11/12 Zena, about 40
Can we witness and minister to others while grocery shopping? Why not? Everyone needs food, so a grocery store is a natural place to find people to reach out to. Of course, some shoppers may be in too much of a hurry to talk, so I use gospel tracts both as conversation starters and as a reminder of gospel truths when they do have time to read them later on. Today I stopped for groceries on my way home from work and offered a "million dollar bill" gospel tract to a woman named Zena while she shopped. She laughed and began to read the gospel message on the back. She saw the name of my church in my e-mail address that I had stamped on it and said she had just recently heard our pastor speak at another church. We talked further and found out she had just volunteered and left a job application at my kid's school, which seemed like no small coincidence considering the hundreds of schools in our side of Chicago. Though she had a church background I told her I had to ask an important question - "How can you be sure of heaven?" I was glad to hear that her faith is in Jesus alone. "Do you know what most people, even church people,tell me?" I asked her. She was surprised when I told her that even most people with a church background will say that they believe they will go to heaven because of their good deeds rather than faith in Jesus. Her surprise at this indicated to me that she has not been actively witnessing herself, because if she had she would have soon been aware of this disturbing fact. And what better way to encourage a fellow believer to witness than to actively set the example? For this reason and of course the simple joy of fellowship I'm always encouraged when I meet a fellow believer while witnessing. We talked further about our hope found in Jesus and before I left I prayed with Zena, asking God for His blessings on her employment application and thanking Him for the chance to meet a sister in faith there at the grocery store.

No comments: