FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

5/21/12        George,    about 30
Apathy.  When it comes down to it, isn't this one of the main reasons so many people simply ignore God in their lives?  Or is there something more to it, something deeper?  Many people, such as a young man named George whom I met at a Dunkin' Donuts today, when asked about their spiritual beliefs simply shrug their shoulders and say they simply don't think about it much.  How can we start a conversation about spiritual things when people say right off the bat that they simply aren't interested?  One thing I have found that most people do like to talk about, if they truly have the time, is themselves!  George expressed disinterest at first, but he sure brightened up when I asked him some key questions about his spiritual background.  Since he grew up Catholic but is no longer active in church, I asked "So at what point did  you leave the church?  Was it a particular incident or did you just get caught up in other things that seemed more important?"  George had gradually slipped away from church, and it came as a shock to hear himself discribed as leaving the church, but he couldn't deny it.   He said he still believes in God, and hopes he will be found good enough for heaven.  "Do you feel like you can never be good enough, going through life and wondering how you will be judged?"  George nodded in agreement, like he had always had this sort of feeling but had never heard anyone put it into words.  It was simple questions like these - not a canned evangelistic spiel - that got George engaged in a good conversation and helped him hear the Gospel.  In fact we talked for 20 minutes before he told me that his girlfriend was waiting for him at the table behind me. I wanted to respect their time, and felt sure he would read what I gave him, so I started on my way but not before he said "No one has ever asked me questions like this before - thanks for taking the time to talk with me".

No comments: