FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

"Bible in Hand?"



9/23/12        Jimmy,    about 25
Should we have a Bible in hand when trying to begin Gospel conversations?  I generally do not, though I usually have at least a New Testament available nearby if needed.  One reason I do this is because when ititiating conversations with strangers in the marketplace - who most likely had some other objective on their mind such as their shopping - my first task is to engage them in a two-way conversation.  This can be  hard to do if they see a big Bible in my hands and believe I will launch into a canned sermon complete with reading multiple Bible verses.  Like Paul in the marketplace in Athens - reasoning "with those who happened to be there" (Acts 17:17) - I must be aware that my audience may have little understanding of or respect for the Bible.  And like Paul taught in the second half of that chapter, my first appeal is usually one of logic or common sense based on what I have found out about their knowledge or beliefs about God or religion.  For example, I began an interesting conversation with a young man named Jimmy in the marketplace - in this case the electronics department of a Target store - and found out that his idea about religions is that they are all a confusing mix of rules and practices one must do to secure a place in heaven.  Among other things, I reasoned "What sounds like a better way to live, going through life constantly worrying whether you have 'done enough' to earn heaven, or receiving God's gift of forgiveness and going through life looking for ways to thank Him and show Him love in return?"  Of the  different points I made in my conversation with Jimmy, this one seemed to resonate with him the most.  My reasoning was a mixture of common sense, biblical references, and personal testimony.  I was careful to let him know the Bible is my source of authority and truth, but not to scare him away with it.  I realize fellow believers may disagree with me about this, and I welcome anyone to share their thoughts....

No comments: