FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

Tragedy



12/14/12         Antonio          about 25
I heard about the tragedy in Connecticut while at work today.   It was heavy on my heart while I drove home through the darkening city streets.  I turned on “positive, encouraging K-Love”, a Christian radio station that’s been a real blessing to me.  As I made my way along in my sound-bubble, hearing heavenly music but seeing very worldly scenes of life here on earth, the Newsboys came on with their version of “Amazing Love” - “I’m forgiven, because You were forsaken.  I’m accepted, You were condemned.  I’m alive and well, Your Spirit lives within me, because You died and rose again…”  The juxtaposition of the words and music in my car, the events of the day, and the street life all around me was surreal, with all the snippets of everyday life, little dramas unfolding all around me, some of them possibly tragedies in their own way.  “Amazing Love, how can it be, that you my King would die for me?  Amazing love, I know it’s true, and it’s my joy to honor You, in all I do, I honor You”  I joined in, singing along with the Newsboys, feeling like I’m in my own private monastery, worshipping behind the wheel.  But how could I worship on a day like today?  What difference would it make?  How can I worship without feeling like a hypocrite, seeing the need around me but doing nothing about it, feeling helpless to do anything?  For me, I can’t.  I sing with my whole heart because I’m about to park the car, get myself out on that busy sidewalk, and strike up a conversation about the Lord with someone.  Today, it was with Antonio, who adamantly told me at first that he believes in God but not in any sort of existence after we die, and that we could never know even if there was.  Half an hour later, he was enthusiastically shaking my hand, four times over, telling me he would read the Bible I had just given him, for the first time.  What does this have to do with the tragedy in Connecticut?  Well I believe that the young man who did the shooting knew nothing of the forgiveness and love of Jesus. He may turn out to have some religious connections, but he didn’t know Jesus.  Jesus said you will know a tree by its fruit.  Followers of Jesus don’t shoot little children.  We need more followers of Jesus.

No comments: