FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

Purpose for Parables

9/15/13                       Justin                             about 30
Why did Jesus teach with parables so often?  I brought a parable – the one about the wheat and the weeds from Matthew 13 – to our local coffee shop to see what people thought of it.  There I found a man named Justin, an accountant, who was reading a novel.  “I don’t mean to bother you but I’m from a local church and I’d like to get your reaction to this parable of Jesus”  “Uh, I’m not really sure what a parable is.” he said.  Justin told me that he really didn’t have any religious background growing up and hadn’t really cared enough to learn more about religion as an adult, so I responded,  “No problem! It’s just a story about everyday things designed to make a point about spiritual things, so I’ll read it to you and just tell me what you think it means.  Justin agreed, so I read it and then he read it on his own before venturing an opinion.  “I think the wheat represents us and the weeds represent the bad influences around us that we need to guard against.” was his answer. Then he asked “How about you, what do you think it means?”  “Well, it’s interesting that this is one of the few parables in the Bible where Jesus actually gives His intended meaning.  His disciples later asked Him what it meant so He explained it here” – and I read His reply: “The one who sowed the good seed is the Son of Man.  The field is the world, and the good seed stands for the people of the kingdom. The weeds are the people of the evil one, and the enemy who sows them is the devil. The harvest is the end of the age, and the harvesters are angels.  As the weeds are pulled up and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of the age.  The Son of Man will send out his angels, and they will weed out of his kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil. They will throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.  Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Whoever has ears, let them hear.   This led to a longer conversation about how sinful people can actually be made “righteous” in God’s eyes – and I also had the chance to explain what I believe to be one of Jesus’ purposes for parables.  “Not everyone who hears Jesus’ parables care enough to stick around long enough to figure out what they mean.  The people Jesus explained it to were his disciples, because they asked him about it later.  It’s a way of giving the truth only to those who really want to hear it.”  Justin received all this graciously along with some extra gospel literature I gave him, but as I walked away I could see him turning back to his novel.  “Whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them. This is why I speak to them in parables: “Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand.”   (Matt 13:12-13)

No comments: