FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

Curious Questions

11/13/13             Vidal            20

Thumbnail

What does repentance look like?  As seen in this video clip, a young man named Vidal had some good questions for me about what it means to be “born again”, but were they questions that came from simple curiosity or were they from that deep yearning for a right relationship with God that is repentance?  Was his main goal happiness or righteousness?  I honestly don’t know, but he definitely was not “cut to the heart” like the people Peter preached to in Acts 2.  I happened upon Vidal at a McDonalds and asked to interview him for a video project I’m working on.  He remembered me from a sidewalk conversation last summer, and my initial interview questions naturally led to another gospel conversation.  Vidal tries to keep an open mind about God and religion, so we talked about the gospel on a “what if it is all true” basis.  I used some of the Ten Commandments to show him his need for forgiveness.  The video clip skips past all that about a half hour to our discussion about his need to receive that forgiveness.  In the end, should I have pressed Vidal to pray for salvation?  I didn’t think so, because I really saw no signs of repentance. I didn’t want to help create yet another false convert, blissfully comfortable in his mistaken beliefs about righteousness.  As a Christian wanting to biblically and effectively share my faith, I thank anyone who would take the time to watch all or at least part of the video, and I value your thoughtful and biblically-based advice and constructive criticism…


Acts 2   When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?”  Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Titus 3    But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior


John 3  You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’ The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”

No comments: