FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

Holy Memory



1/24/16                       Marie Ann                  about 50
 
When is the best point at which to share the Gospel in people's lives?

A sidewalk conversation with a lady named Marie Ann, on her way home from a Catholic mass, began with an interesting comment I like to hear.

I had used the question “Do you think you will go to heaven?” and as she thought through her answer I added, “Do you think about that very often?”

Her answer, which I am always glad to hear, was “You know, I’ve been thinking about that a lot lately.” She answered very sincerely, making me think maybe she had lost a loved one recently or something.

The reason I like to hear answers like that is because people that say this are usually very open to talking and it sounds like they are at a place where they are really listening for God to speak to them.

But what about people who seem like they are so preoccupied with other things that they don’t give God or the things of heaven a second thought?

It may be true that they are not at a place where they are ready to listen, but I think we give people like this, and the Holy Spirit, less credit than they deserve if we think that talking with people like this is futile.

God has blessed most people with the gift of memory, and just because they don’t respond to Gospel truths spoken into their lives today doesn’t mean they won’t remember what we say at a time when it is more meaningful to them.

It takes faith and patience to reach out to people no matter how open they are at a certain point in their life. We need faith to take Jesus at His word… “But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.” (Jn 14)

This passage was originally directed toward believers, but I see no reason why the Holy Spirit would not take our words of Gospel truth and bring them back into people’s memories at just the time they need it.

That is a job only the Holy Spirit can do; our job is to faithfully preach and teach the word, no matter if people seem like they are ready for it or not.

So, in answer to my beginning question, I believe the best point at which to share the Gospel in people's lives is "Now"!

No comments: