FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

How Can We Make the Idea of God More Personal to Unbelievers?


2/9/16                Josh                32 
 
How can we make the idea of God more personal to unbelievers?

I was challenged with trying to make the idea of "God" more personal as I talked with Josh, 32, in a grocery store coffee shop. Four years earlier, Josh was a frustrated musician who had never given much thought to religion, when he suddenly took an interest in the new age “spirituality” of Oprah Winfrey. He began to pray vague prayers to an unknown higher power, referring to it as “Universe”.

The next summer, a Christian friend of a relative invited him to a church Bible study. He only went once but he began to read the Bible, and changed the object of his prayers to a more personal “God” rather than the impersonal “Universe”.

And as he told me all this, I told him it gets even better. We can have the privilege of calling God “Our Father” as Jesus demonstrated in the Lord’s Prayer.

Through Jesus, we can have a loving relationship with our Creator as a child has with a loving parent.

Every time I share these basic truths, especially with hearts ready to receive them, I am reminded of the time I was at the same place in my faith journey. I can’t laugh at someone praying to a vague “Universe”, because “there but for the grace of God go I”!

Paul knew that reaching out to others gives us constant reminders of the priceless treasures we have in Christ, when he wrote “I pray that you may be active in sharing your faith, so that you will have a full understanding of every good thing we have in Christ.” (Phil. 1:6)

What a privilege to pray to Our Father, and what a joy to invite others to our family!

No comments: