FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

Glory



6/19/17                        Steve                  about 20

There was no one behind me in line, so I asked Steve, the check-out attendant in the booth at the lumber yard, my question about what happens to us in eternity.  He welcomed my question, saying "Actually, I'm fascinated with death."  I wondered what he meant by that, so he explained.  "I'm training to become a homicide detective.  I will have to deal with dead bodies all the time, and I will wonder how they got that way." 
 
As far as I could tell, it wasn't a morbid preoccupation with death or a spiritual interest in eternity, but just the challenge of solving mysteries that interested him.  I went on to ask if he had any sort of spiritual beliefs.  "Not really, I don't believe in God or anything like that.  But if I could choose, I think it would be cool to be reincarnated.  I really love this earth and I like the thought of another life to enjoy the beauty and wonder of it all."

So do we preach the Gospel to people like Steve, regardless of their refusal to acknowledge God's existence?  Or do we try to reason with them, to at least "put a rock in their shoe", challenging them to reconsider their secular beliefs?

I chose the latter, knowing we could be interupted by another customer at any time.  "I totally agree, this earth is incredible and I never get tired of learning about its wonders, not to mention the vast and awesome universe that surrounds it.  As a Christian I would call it all God's creation, and as marvelous as it all is, how much more interesting is the Creator than the creation?  I don't believe heaven could ever be boring because we will get to know the Creator of this awesome universe and enjoy being in his presence forever."

By this time another customer did drive up, so I gave Steve a Gospel tract that explains the connection between science and Chrisitianity - how science is only possible in an ordered universe.  Psalm 19 says "The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.  Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they reveal knowledge."   

We can observe the beauty and learn from the order of God's vast creation, but how much greater to get to know the glory of the Creator himself!

No comments: