FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

Christian Meditation


8/3/18                   Cienna  (video)                            22

In our fast-paced and hectic existence, made even more intense by the sound bites and eye candy of our information-rich but wisdom-impoverished technology, many people are discovering the discipline of turning off the screens and slowing down for a time.  Of taking a deep breath and clearing out the clutter and worry that fills our minds.  Of taking some time for self-reflection and meditation.

During a conversation outside our local coffeeshop, Cienna, a young lady who describes herself as “spiritual but not religious”, has discovered the value of meditation in relieving stress and finding peace in life.  She grew up with a nominally Catholic background, but is now unsure about religious belief and inclined toward the more eastern belief in reincarnation.  She also explained how she attempts to clear her mind during meditation.  I explained that Christianity, too, values times of meditation but instead of simply trying to free one’s mind of distracting thoughts, Christian meditation also helps us focus on filling our minds with passages from the word of God. 

A good place to meditate is in the Psalms, which begin by telling us “Blessed is the one…whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law day and night.”   Joshua 1:8  says “This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.”

Meditating on God’s word gives us perspective and direction in life.  It helps establish our priorities according to God’s will, rather than being filled with our own.  It helps us appreciate the creation by acknowledging the Creator, and so is not limited to Scripture alone.  Philippians 4:8 says "Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things"

Through times of reflection and meditation, our world can be refreshed as we see it through the lens of eternity.  One of my favorite songs these days speaks of this.  The song is “El Mismo Cielo” by Marcela Gandera.  (Awesome video on YouTube).  It’s beautiful poetry is lost in translation from Spanish but in English it basically says:

“Although it is the same sky, the same sun, and the same streets, I am not the same.
Like a tourist I walk, discovering new things while walking because you are with me
Why is it that with you I begin to discover the simple things I had not seen before?
I hear the voice of the sea and the stars that speak so much about You
The voice that screams in the silence that you want me here, near You.
Your kiss is in every drop that wets me when walking; the light that flows in the sound of a small child crying
You make me live, laugh, and breathe.
Even though You were with me, I could not under stand that I was surrounded by so much joy
Of so many reasons, that from my routine I had to leave, to stop and see You smile, and feel my life.”


Bible-based mediation and prayer helps us see and appreciate the world around us that we took for granted before.  It also gives us clear direction and guidance for the world to come.

Cienna kindly allowed me to record our conversation.  See it HERE

No comments: