FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

Worthy to Proclaim



9/20/18       James  (click here for video)      20's

Wednesday I met an amazing young man named James who has come through some pretty dark places in his young life.  Both of his parents have died, and when he moved from Wisconsin to stay with his grandparents in Chicago, his grandfather also died.  He has been overcoming his disability, lost over a hundred pounds, and is very actively involved in the Special Olympics at our local park.

Through it all James has come to a wonderful place of trusting God’s love and care for him in small and big ways.  He believes he will be with God in heaven one day, and although he can’t really articulate the Gospel, and although I can’t be sure he really understands it, I personally believe he will. 

When asked why he believes he will go to heaven, James began to tell of his good deeds like so many self-righteous people do.  But although it sounds like he trusts in his own righteousness rather than in the righteousness we can only find in Christ, being able to articulate our faith is not the litmus test for salvation.  Only God knows the true heart of people, so the only reason I try to discern the spiritual understanding of the people I talk to is not to judge them but to know how to best spend the few precious minutes I have to talk with them. 
 
For James, these moments were even shorter as I could tell it was about to start raining any time.  How best to spend the few remaining minutes of our conversation?  I briefly shared the Gospel, not necessarily because I think James is not saved, but simply because the Gospel is worthy to be shared, whether the hearer is a believer or not. 

The good news of Jesus is meant to be repeated, because through it we glorify the Lord:  “I will glory in the Lord; let the afflicted hear and rejoice.  Glorify the Lord with me; let us exalt his name together.”    Psalm 34

James refused to take a basic Gospel tract from me, saying “I basically know all that anyway”, so I had to settle for a simple verbal reminder for him to trust in Jesus rather than good works.  Whether those we talk with have simple trust or theological correctness, naïve confidence or honest ignorance, quiet indifference or vocal opposition, the Gospel is worthy to be shared whenever we have the opportunity.

PS – James graciously allowed me to record our conversation, which can be seen in its entirety HERE 

No comments: