FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!
11/03/09 Jean, about 50
While I was out for a jog, Jean was standing on a corner, smoking and waiting for a friend to pick her up. I told her "I'll give you this million dollar bill if you can tell me what the million dollar question is on the back" She knew it obviously wasn't real but good-naturedly went along with the game. "Hmmm" she thought hard .
I told her. "It will be the most important question anyone could ever ask, and the only question on our mind when we die" Even the serious nature of my clue didn't wipe the smile off her face because Jean, like most people, likes a riddle. "Are you happy?" she guessed. I told her that wasn't it and after a minute or so gave her the answer - "Will you go to heaven?" "You're right, that would be pretty important" she agreed. This led very naturally to the "Good Person Test" which personalizes the Ten Commandments and Jean, agreeing with me - a complete stranger - that she is a liar, a thief, a blasphemer and a murderer at heart. The effectiveness of using the law as a mirror to show people their true nature before a holy God continues to amaze me. I explained to Jean that she can't use good works of any kind to "bribe" God into ignoring the just punishment she deserves, and then I shared the best news ever - John 3:16 - which now made a lot more sense to her. She shook my hand, saying "I really like the way you put that" as she got into her friends car. I really like the way God puts it, using His law to show us our need for salvation through Jesus and the cross.

No comments: