FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!
11/05/09 Don, about 50
At Chicago's Union Station I asked one man sitting at a table if I could get his opinion on a few things. "Get out of here, can't you see I'm reading?' he instantly yelled, loudly. That was the first time I have ever been blatantly rejected. A few months ago, this would have been my worst nightmare, but my initial reaction today was that this man had a serious problem, and it wasn't me. At the next table, Don, who was working on his laptop, graciously agreed to answer my questions, and he told me he believes we can't know our fate after we die so he doesn't think we can do anything about it. He said, "It's like spitting off a bridge. Once you do it, you can't take it back." This made me think (wrongly) that he was well aware of his sin and guilt before God, so I failed to use the Ten Commandments to stir his conscience as usual. Without his awareness of his own need for forgiveness and salvation from the punishment he personally deserves, my attempts at explaining his need for Christ seemed pretty lame, like just another religious spiel - to both of us. He quickly returned his thoughts to his immediate concern which was that he had been the victim of identity theft, and he impatiently asked me to finish what I had to say. I told him I could understand that what he was going through would make it hard to think about much else, and gave him something to read later when he could. I think I learned far more from our "conversation" than he did.

No comments: