FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!
5/20/10 Tony, early 20's
At a Burger King I asked a heavily tattooed young Latino (Tony) if he had time for a few questions about his spiritual beliefs. "For example, do you believe in God or some sort of higher power?" He said "Sure I believe in God. I just don't go to church all the time like some people. I think they're hypocrites. I just go when I feel like it" I guess I could have pointed out the inconsistencies in this statement but I had just sat down to talk with Tony and I know its especially important at this stage in a witnessing conversation to just ask a lot of questions and get a feel for where the person is at spiritually without being judgmental in any way. When I do begin to use the Ten Commandments to expose sin, it is used to help a person judge themself, much like getting them to look in a mirror. Tony didn't know any of the Ten Commandments, so I explained a few, asking how well he kept them as I went. "How many lies have you told?" I asked. "Oh, I'm a GOOD liar". He took pride in his ability to get away with lying, but after the Law revealed he is also a thief, a blaphemer, and a murderer and adulterer at heart, he was making all sorts of excuses. His basic argument was that sin is "only natural" and he is prepared to just take his chances with either heaven or hell when he dies. I told him I had given him the bad news about his sin and judgment, but there is good news if he wanted to hear it. Tony shook his head. "I'll take my chances" he said again. I asked "Do you think it might just be that you don't like to think about repentance? Do you know what that is?"   "Yes, but its not like that" he assured me, but I'm not so sure.

No comments: