FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!
5/26/10 Dan, about 50
I went for a jog near Cellular Field where there are very expensive homes and I met Dan, the owner of a million dollar mansion, as he was watering his ornate shrubbery. I complemented him on his beautiful home and as we talked he proudly told me about the three restaurants he owns, one of which is a well-known Chicago landmark. After a few minutes I swung over to spiritual topics: "I have an interesting question for you." He looked intrigued. "It's probably a question you've never been asked before in your life". Now he looked challenged, like he would maintain his cheery disposition no matter where this went. "Where do you think you'll be in a hundred years?" He said "Oh I'll be in the grave", still smiling. "Do you think there's any kind of life beyond this one?" I asked. He honestly didn't know, and admitted he has been too busy to think about such things. He believes in God and, though he had never before thought about it in these terms, believes he will do very well on judgment day. Even after I asked about some of the Ten Commandments and he freely admitted he is a liar, thief, and a murderer and adulterer at heart (Do you ever take God's name in vain? "Oh God no" he said) he still believes he is "an extremely good person" because he attends mass every week ("I put in my 45 minutes for God") and "I help everyone around me". During all this, he still maintained his friendly, enthusiastic, positive attitude, but now he suddenly had to get going. My line of questions didn't go the way he had hoped. For a man like this, with the wealth and power that comes with his position, I doubt he had ever been asked questions like this, and I hope he will never forget it.

1 comment:

Jeff Reiman said...

Did this conversation accomplish anything? I believe so. As C.S.Lewis points out in "Mere Christianity", a person doesn't truly know how bad they are until they try to be good. By emphasizing the 10 Commandments, my hope is that over the coming weeks Dan will gain a better realization that he isn't so good after all. I trust that the Holy Spirit will reveal the Savior to him when he truly realizes he needs one. What do you think?