FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!
6/9/10 The Fisherman about 35
Today I stopped by a park in a heavily Latino neighborhood and spent some time getting to know a man at the lagoon who was catching small fish and crawfish, for his aquarium I think. I told him I was learning Spanish so he taught me some words. He seemed to speak fairly good English so after finding out about his hobby I began to ask him questions about his spiritual beliefs. Suddenly, he became very evasive and responded to my questions with very strange answers, and because of his limited English I couldn't tell if he was joking, being sarcastic, or truly didn't understand. Then three other young men came by, interested in what he had caught, and he spoke to them rapidly in Spanish for quite a while. I could tell he was talking about me and they were laughing. I'm not sure if it was because of the questions about eternity I had asked or because of my poor Spanish ability or something else. I guess if want to reach out to the large numbers of Spanish speakers who live near me I will have to put up with the language barrier and the limitations I will always have as a non-native speaker. It may make me an easy target for ridicule, but "Here am I Lord, send me!"   (Isaiah 6:7)

No comments: