FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!
7/25/11 Krishna, about 25
"How can we explain the inequality that people are born into unless we see it as the result of choices made in earlier lives?" - I was asked during a conversation with Krishna, a doctoral student at IIT. He was introduced to me by Anand, a Christian from India who is also an IIT student and attends our church. I had found out that Krishna is a practicing Hindu so I asked all about his beliefs, which in turn had helped me earn the right to share my beliefs as well. We finished our conversation by comparing some key differences between Christianity and Hinduism, which had led to the above question. My answer focused on both our sinful nature and our purpose for existance - to bring glory to God. Because of our sinful nature no one can say they deserve any privileges - life itself is a gift we don't deserve - and no matter what advantage or disadvantage one is born into we can all use "the hand that we have been dealt" to bring glory to God. This contrasts with the self-centered purpose of most other religions which make one's personal happiness or fullfillment the chief purpose for existence, setting us up to feel cheated by the inequalities of life. The three of us enjoyed the conversation, and we agreed that if anyone would change their mind about their beliefs it would have to be an act of God. I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: