FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!
9/5/11 Buddy, about 45
While riding bike through Chicago's University Village on a beautiful Sunday morning I came upon two well-dressed men enjoying their latte's and each other's company at a table outside a coffee shop. I gave them MDB gospel tracks, hoping to start a conversation, and after asking if they believe in heaven one of them remarked "There must be a heaven, because this is hell right here". I replied, "I've heard that a lot, but don't you think things can get a lot worse than this?" This was too uncomfortable to think about for them, because they quickly changed the subject, so I wished them well and went on my way. The next person I met was Buddy, who was unemployed and newly homeless and glad to have someone to share his troubles with. He wasn't ready to talk about the Lord, but was thankful for a listening ear and glad when I offered to pray for him. The contrast between Buddy and the coffee-shop men got me thinking about why they would call this a "hell on earth". I think it has a lot to do with their expectations. They believe God owes them something here on earth and a paradise in heaven. Will they ever be satisfied? Has someone told them that God loves them and has a wonderful plan for them, and do they feel they are missing out? This is the result of a man-centered gospel, where the primary purpose in life is not God's glory, but man's happiness, giving them reason for disappointment. But the Bible is clear that we do exist for God's glory, a theme that is repeated over and over through the Bible and becomes obvious only when we can finally look past our own self-interest and see the truth that is there right in front of us. "...so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen. (1 Peter 4:11)

No comments: