FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

Do you feel cognitive dissonance when it comes to evangelism?

3/12/12     Danae, about 18

A church brother named Eric and I met after work in order to go out and initiate some gospel conversations. We know this can go against the grain of our contemporary church culture which tells us that we should politely wait until people ask us about our beliefs, invite people to come to our Bible studies and special events, or at least hope and pray they show up at church on Sunday mornings. But Jesus said "Go" - so we went.

One person we talked to was a polite and fashionable young lady named Danae. When asked about her religious beliefs she really hadn't given it much thought. She had no religious upbringing and hadn't thought about or pursued any religious path. She seemed, basically, clueless about the things of God.

I've talked to a lot of people like Danae who are caught up in their own private world and day to day concerns, and it makes me wonder - outside of a move of the Holy Spirit, usually through being prayed for and reached out to by other people, how would a polite but clueless person like this have the courage or confidence to ask us Christians about our faith? Would they even know what questions to ask? Should we really expect them to reach out by coming to us and to our meetings?

Since the Bible says there is "no one who seeks God" (Romans 3:11) shouldn't the burden be on us to go to them? Shouldn't we expect the Holy Spirit residing within us to motivate us to take the initiative rather than an unbeliever? Why do we think that it is somehow more "spiritual" if we wait until they take the initiative?

But as a Christian it is only natural that we want to share the good news of Jesus. The Holy Spirit who is sealed within us (Eph. 4:30) compels us to do so, not just out of obedience to the Lord but also out of love for the lost. Like Paul who said "Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!" (1 Cor. 9:16) it is also natural that we will get impatient in waiting for those Spirit-led opportunities that may seem to come our way only rarely.

However, I should be the last to point fingers. Most of my life as a Christian was spent not in reaching out in initiating Gospel conversations , but in forming fancy excuses not to! I became quite good at it, to the point where anytime I felt compelled to share the Gospel I had a whole arsenal of excuses that would play like recording loops in my brain to talk myself out of it. The constant cognitive dissonance between what I felt compelled to do and what I tried to avoid fueled many strange and contradictory beliefs and behaviors.

It wasn't until I set a daily outreach goal that I began to overcome a lifetime of excuses and habitual thinking. It has actually taken years and a lot of prayer for those excuse-loops to quit playing in my head. Of course it doesn't help to hear other Christians trying to talk me out of outreach because they hear the same excuses too!

It does help to read words of encouragement in response to my social-media posts. But imitation would be so much better, since my goal is to help motivate other Christians to see the opportunities all around us and to take the initiative to reach out with the Gospel. And with that, I will share the resource that has been most helpful in motivating me - Ray Comfort's evangelism training ministry at www.LivingWaters.com.

If you are new to his website, I recommend you listen to two recordings- "Hell's Best-Kept Secret " and "True and False Conversion". They are very eye-opening and if you are like me you will need to listen to them multiple times. It takes time and multiple hearings just to digest all the biblical truth they contain. These are hard truths that aren't typically preached on Sunday mornings, and I've needed to hear them repeatedly to keep from going back to habitual ways of thinking and excuse-making.

Are you willing to hear some hard, biblical truths that may just rock your world? I have to warn you, you will never be the same, and there is no going back to the normal way of making excuses rather than actually sharing the Gospel!

No comments: