FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

7/19/12         Henry,        62
After picking up a few groceries I decided to try to initiate a gospel conversation before heading up to the cash registers.  One person I spoke with was an older man named Henry, who welcomed a conversation about his beliefs.  He said something I found hard to argue with.  "The Bible can be interpreted in so many ways.  How can we know which one is right?"  Before I started witnessing regularly I think I would have argued against his claim.  I might have thought "There is only one way to interpret it - my way!"  But I have met so many people who have had very different interpretations of the Bible.  Jehovah Witnesses, Mormons, other cults members, people from mainline denominational churches, modern evangelicals and others have told me their very different interpretations of different parts of the Bible.  But Henry reached a conclusion that I absolutely don't agree with.  He decided that since so many people have so many opinions about it, it isn't worth reading.  In fact, he hasn't read it since his catechism class about 50 years ago as a teenager.   In the meantime, he has formed opinions of God that are based only on his own wishful thinking, and ideas about what the Bible says that simply are not true.  I really couldn't share biblical truths with Henry because if he didn't like them he would simply say "Well that's your interpretation".  Among the people I've talked to who claim there are many interpretations I've noticed a simple and logical pattern: the further they get away from actually reading what it says and start depending on the opinions of others, the more they misinterpret it.  I had a simple challenge for Henry and for anyone who says it is subject to interpretation - "You've got to read it for yourself!".

No comments: