FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

7/14/12    Dave and others,   20's and 30's
While on a beach vacation on the Carolina coast I went to a Food Lion grocery store on a Saturday night.  I can't stop sharing the gospel just because I'm "on vacation" so I used some million dollar tracts as conversation starters.  Most of the shoppers there were young men who were not there for food, but to pick up cases of beer for their Saturday night partying.  I talked to 5 or 6 guys, most in their 20's.  Some were clean cut and some not, but they all seemed to have some sort of church background, a positive attitude toward the gospel, and a wonderful southern respect for their elders.  Their "yes sir" and "no sir" is something I never hear back in Chicago.  Yet as courteous and respectful as these guys were, none gave any indication that they thought maybe their drinking might be incompatible with their Christian background. Later I realized they reminded me of the second son in the parable Jesus told in Matthew 21.  Two sons were asked to work in the vineyard for their father.  The father went to the first and said, ‘Son, go and work today in the vineyard.’  ‘I will not,’ he answered, but later he changed his mind and went. Then the father went to the other son and said the same thing. He answered, ‘I will, sir,’ but he did not go.   Like these courteous and respectful guys getting ready for a night of drinking, I think the second son was agreeable just to be courteous, but he never did do the will of his father.  I'm reminded that Jesus wants true obedience, not just our courtesy.

No comments: