FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

7/25/12            Arten,                     about 25
"The Bible says that God created the world in six days but I have to wonder - why did He take so long?"  I asked this to a young man named Arten whom I met in downtown Chicago.  He had stopped for a smoke before shopping at Urban Outfitters, so with his permission I began to ask about his spiritual beliefs.  Arten had grown up attending a Methodist church with his family, but has drifted from church and faith after leaving home.  He said he doesn't believe in God or life after death because it conflicts with his belief in science. He asked what I believe about creation and evolution.  Now I believe we are called to have faith, but it can be a reasonable faith, not a blind faith, so I began to reason with Arten, first pointing out that God, by definition, is able to perform miracles so we don't have to try to come up with scientific explanations of the miracles recorded in the Bible.  "If God wanted to create everything in one second He could have easily done so, but He didn't, and I believe the Bible gives an accurate account of creation.  I grew up totally indoctrinated in evolution just like most people, so I understand that you might think I sound crazy when I say this.  I also know that our culture is increasingly fascinated with science and has come to view it as the only hope for solving humanity's problems.  People think that to question evolution is to question science and to become an obstacle in saving the human race.  I think It will be one thing Christians will be persecuted for.  But there are tons of evidence that make it reasonable to question evolution and that make a case for the biblical account of creation.  To try to explain it all in just a few brief moments here wouldn't do it justice."  I went on to give Arten a good website to check out some of the evidence for biblical creation - www.evolutionfacts.com - and to explain a few  examples of the evidence cited there.  After the examples I gave him some basic Gospel questions, and Arden thanked me, saying he really needs to rethink his beliefs.  Please pray for him.  We don't need to be experts in apologetics or science to share our faith, but it sure helps to do our homework. 

No comments: