FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

Wise Choice



3/10/13                   Jack                      about 25
Jack - a heavily pierced and tattooed fellow shopper at Target -answered my question about his beliefs with a shrug -  “I’m an agnostic, so…” as if that should end of the conversation.  He was surprised when I told him “Actually, I believe that’s one of the wisest choices a person can make when it comes to religion – admitting that you just don’t know.”  “Yeah, I think its pretty arrogant for atheists to say there absolutely is no God, when really they just don’t know” he answered.  “But I really can’t say one religion is better than another either.  They all seem the same to me.”  I asked.   “Are you an agnostic simply because you have neglected to give religion much thought, or have you really looked into the various religions?”  He said he had, so I asked if he knew much about Christianity.  “I read the Bible when I was a kid”  “The whole thing?” I asked.  “Well, it was a Children’s Story Bible.”  I had to laugh – “That’s like when I watch that new series ‘The Bible’ on TV.  I realize they only have time for the highlights, but its frustrating to see how much they are leaving out”,  “I can see that” Jack agreed.   This started a great conversation right there in the store, ending with Jack taking more info and thanking me for stopping him to talk.  This conversation wouldn’t have happened if I had disagreed or criticized him initially for being an agnostic, but I wasn’t just using dishonest flattery when I told him that agnosticism is a wise choice.  I really believe it.  Outside of God revealing Himself to me in a very real relationship with Jesus, I wouldn’t know anything for sure either, and I would hope that I would have had Jack’s level of humility in admitting my ignorance of spiritual truth.  Let us show that same sort of wise humility and willingness to listen in our interactions with unbelievers, especially early in the conversations, and we just might earn the chance to share that very real Truth we have experienced first-hand in Jesus.  “A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.”  Proverbs 15:1

No comments: