FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

There But For the Grace of God...



4/9/13          Kevin                early 20’s
I stopped for a witnessing walk on my way home from work today and on the sidewalk I met Kevin, a Physics major at IIT.  He described himself as an agnostic so I asked what this meant to him.  “Well, I can’t prove God exists, but I know enough to say I can’t prove He doesn’t exist either.  I just have to admit I don’t know”.  I commended him on his answer, saying “That’s very wise.  If it weren’t for the very real experiences I’ve had with God in my life, I wouldn’t know what to believe either”.  This began a very positive conversation about God’s existence and our relationship with Him.  Later I began to wonder what I would have said if Kevin had asked me just what my “real experiences” with God have been.  Like many Christians, I’ve had my share of small miracles and confirmations of God working in and around my life, but most could be dismissed by the skeptical as mere coincidence or wishful thinking.  But as I talk with people on the street, I have a growing appreciation for just how utterly miraculous and God-sent the gifts of conviction, repentance and faith really are.  Some people may think we can choose to repent, and may even be proud of it somehow, but Acts 11:18 says it is a gift of God – “…even to Gentiles God has granted repentance that leads to life.”   Romans 12:3 reminds us that if we do have faith, we should be truly thankful: “…think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you.”  I am very thankful, because as I meet more and more unbelievers, I can only agree with John Bradford’s famous and true saying,  “There, but for the grace of God, go I”.

No comments: