FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

Extended Family



4/30/13           Larry              about 40
One of the most difficult things about reaching out to people on the street with the Gospel is not the occasional cold shoulder or negative attitude, its coming across people in the midst of life situations I am powerless to do anything about.  That’s where I found a man named Larry to be today whom I began a conversation with while shopping.  He wasn’t looking for help and was cautious to divulge his situation at first, but as I listened he began to pour out his heart. He is in the midst of a life crisis that has him questioning his Christian faith and wondering where to turn, believing that God loves him but knowing that he most likely needs God’s “tough love” that looks for the greater good beyond his current difficulties.  I think it helped for him to have a caring, listening ear, and for me to pray for him and offer some godly advice, but it’s tempting to feel I just fall into the category of those people whom James described as simply saying “Go in peace, be warm and well fed” but who do nothing about the problem.  (James 2:16)  In truth, Larry’s difficulty is the complicated “rock and a hard place” type, and there wasn’t much more I could do.  But there was one key thing, one more thing I could offer that I am so very grateful for.  I offered my church, a local body of believers that I described to Larry as being “like an extended family”.  He was excited to be invited, and I pray he will follow through by visiting us soon.  I can’t solve Larry’s problems myself, but I know if he hung around a faithful church family for a while, many of those problems would begin to be turned around for good.  I know.  I’ve seen it happen quite a few times already over the years.

No comments: