FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

Good Counsel

10/31/13              Marlene               about 25
I didn’t plan on it, but when Marlene, the young lady cutting my hair, mentioned that she had gone to a spiritual medium for advice, I felt I needed to speak up for the Lord.  I didn’t say “That’s evil!  How could you even consider listening to evil spirits!”  Instead, I looked for a positive way to make the jump to a gospel conversation.  “So it sounds like you believe in a spiritual dimension to life, things like spirits, angels and God.”  She agreed.  “Well, I’m not trying to be morbid or anything, but we’re not guaranteed another day of life, right?  So what do you think would happen were you to die today?”  She looked shocked and said  “That’s so weird!  I was just thinking about that on my break today!”  We were on our way to a good Gospel conversation.  So good, in fact, that Marlene began to purposely slow down my haircut, cutting a few hairs rather than clumps at a time.  We were still talking about the gospel when she finished, so she suddenly said “Oh, I missed a spot”, taking another 5 or 10 minutes.  Along with the gospel, I was also able to explain why she should not go to mediums for advice – “because Jesus said we have a counselor, the Holy Spirit, who would come after Him.  (John 14) The devil tries to trick us and draw us away from God, but those who believe in Jesus have the Holy Spirit to counsel us and guide us in our relationship with God.”  As I paid and prepared to leave, Marlene said “Our work manual says we shouldn’t talk about religion with our customers, but I’m glad I did!  I don’t think I will forget this conversation!”  I usually don’t talk much while getting a haircut.  I guess I’d like the haircutter to concentrate on their work.  In fact, looking in the mirror this morning, I can see that Marlene did make some mistakes.  Oh, but it was worth it!

No comments: