FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

Childlike Faith

1/22/14                    Jorge                        about 40

The adventure of sharing the Gospel has allowed me to meet many interesting people from different walks of life, and has helped me to learn compassion by seeing the world from their point of view.  There was a time when I thought “If you live in America you ought to speak English!”  That was before my desire to share the Gospel opened my eyes to the different cultures and languages of people all around me.   When I began to learn Spanish I discovered that learning a second language is no easy task, especially as an older and working adult, and as I have begun to talk with recent immigrants to Chicago I have become aware of the obstacles they face as they struggle to establish a new life here in the United States.  Jorge, the man in the video, migrated from Guatemala, strapping himself to the outside of a freight train on four separate attempts before finally succeeding in making it through Mexico and into this country.  Now he loads and does deliveries seven days a week, sending much of what he earns back to his wife and children in Guatemala, whom he hasn’t seen for fourteen years.  He has a basic child-like faith in Jesus, like someone who eats food but has no idea why it might be good for them, because he has had to work rather than go to church.  He was sitting in a McDonald’s when I reached out to him, unable to work for several months due to a back injury.  I loved his openness to hearing the Gospel explained more clearly, gave him a Spanish Bible, and challenged him to read it, to pray, and to take the opportunity during his recovery time off work to check out some of the Spanish speaking churches in the area.        VIDEO

No comments: