FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

Just Ask!

1/19/14               Matt              about 22
Want to have a Gospel conversation, but don’t know how to start one?  Just ask!  “Excuse me, I’m wondering if you have time for an interesting question” is how I often start.  If they don’t have time, they will tell me.  Often, the response is “What’s the question?” so I answer “It’s a crazy question, I realize – What do you think happens after this life, if anything?”  Usually, they get a big smile on their face as they formulate a response.  Other times, they’ll say “That’s not something I care to discuss”.  My response?  “No problem, I respect that, but it’s something worth thinking about right?” and I go on my way.  At least I’ve given them a friendly reminder that there’s more to life than their day to day concerns.  But what if someone responds by asking, suspiciously, “Why do you ask?”   I respond with the truth and a little logic.  “Well, if there is such a thing as eternity, then we will spend a lot more time there than here right?  And if there is a heaven and a hell, and a judge who will hold us accountable for our actions while here on earth like the Bible says, than we want to be sure to get it right.  As a Christian who believes what the Bible says about eternity, it wouldn’t be right to keep my beliefs to myself even if I was wrong about the whole thing.  So, if there is a heaven, do you think you would end up there?”  This was how an hour-long conversation with a young man named Matt started today at the coffeeshop.  He initially didn’t want to talk, but I think by my saying things like “IF what the Bible says is true…” , and by asking for his opinions and being willing to listen carefully and respond to his answers,  I was showing him I was willing to consider other points of view and that we could have a conversation without arguing.  A conversation involves two-way communication, so if you are willing to take the time to listen to what non-believers have to say as well as to share the Gospel, there are a lot of people out there who are willing to talk.

No comments: