FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

Reaching Up

6/13/14             Larry                about 45
Jesus said “Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven.”  I believe this is true not just because that person is distracted from the things of God by the comfort of their worldly wealth, but also because the power and intimidation they hold too often prevents others from sharing the hard truths of the Gospel with them or intimidates them into watering it down for fear of offending them.  I have initiated gospel conversations with people of many socio-economic backgrounds, and by far the hardest people to approach are not the gang members or homeless people but the businessman in the vested suit.  We fear rejection and ridicule most from people who are of a higher social status than ourselves.  I’m sure many pastors can relate that they are most careful to avoid offending their biggest tithers and, let’s just say it, the gospel in its purest form is an offense to the worldly mind.  To the highly motivated businessman, time is money, and I know that they will be quick to judge whether a given conversation is worth their attention, and won’t hesitate to assert their right not to participate.  I want to be a tool in the Lord’s hands, ready to share the gospel in season and out, with anyone and in any situation I feel the Lord is leading me.  I have much to learn and am not there yet, but perhaps the best and most humbling training is to learn to reach out to people of a higher status than myself, and/or people who are in a position of power over me.  Yesterday I was able to initiate a gospel conversation with Larry, a house assessor whose report on my property is key to some financial steps I am taking.  He was in a position of power over me and in the past I have often let these sorts of situations keep me from sharing the Gospel.  But I am learning to just be bold and direct and unashamed, because people like Larry need Jesus too.  He opened up about his beliefs, listened to mine, and I gave him something to think about on his way home.  I have yet to see his assessor’s report, but I trust that this, too, is in the Lord’s hands.

No comments: