FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

Hope in Mourning

12/4/2014          Edwin          about 35

Every so often a person I reach out to with the Gospel has recently lost a loved one, and it can be a challenge to be sensitive to their mourning and tender heart while boldly sharing the truth of the Gospel.  A traveling salesman named Edwin, whom I spoke with at a McDonalds today, quickly said “I think about eternity a lot, especially since I lost my brother a year ago.  Because of where they found him, the police said some pretty awful things about him, but I know my brother wasn’t a bad person.  I think about him constantly. I wonder where he is and why God would allow him to die like he did.”  After expressing my condolences, I assured him that God doesn’t rely on outward appearances, like the circumstances of his brother’s death, but sees the heart.  That said, how could I communicate the hard truth that yes, God does know our sinful heart and is aware of our every misdeed, and that Edwin’s brother too was sinful like all of us and in desperate need of forgiveness?  “I’m sure you’d love to see your brother again” I began.  Edwin agreed “Of course”  “So it would make sense that, although you can’t be sure that your brother is in heaven or not, but you definitely won’t see him again if you yourself don’t go there.”  “Makes sense” Edwin said. I asked if he would like to hear what the Bible has to say about life after death, and he did.  I was aware that sharing the law to show Edwin the extent of his sin and need for Jesus would imply to him that his brother might not be saved and could distract his focus from the Gospel, so I said “Now I want you to know the Bible has some good news about eternal life, but I have to warn you, the good news doesn’t make much sense without sharing the bad news first, so I hope you’ll be patient”.  Edwin nodded, soberly, ready to hear what I had to say.  This gave me permission to take my time and explain why we need to be saved and how our sins lead to the punishment of hell, the bad news which helps us understand why the message of forgiveness and salvation is such good news. I believe I didn’t take advantage of his grief, but gave a message of hope to Edwin, a message that God “will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”  (Rev.21)

No comments: