FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

Desperation and Apathy



9/23/15                   Fahid                     20’s
Today our Gospel outreach brought us into a conversation with Fahid, a Muslim student from India who attends IIT.  As a Muslim he does believe in Heaven and hell and a judgment day, so I asked “Well, we’re not guaranteed another day of life, so if you were to die today where would you go?” Fahid didn’t hesitate in his answer, to the point that I could tell it is something he has thought about before.  “Oh, I’d go to hell” he said.  “I haven’t been following Islam like I should”  “Well, do you believe you’ll make things right some day?” I asked.  “Oh yes, I plan to take Islam much more seriously, and I have a lot of work to do to earn salvation” he said.  I went on to explain the Gospel to him so at least he might have a more accurate idea of the forgiveness he can find in Jesus, but it makes me wonder – in my experience at least, most nominal Muslims believe they would go to hell if they were to die today, but those who are only nominal “Christians” believe that despite their sins, they will still go to heaven nonetheless.  This helps explain two things – the desperation of many Muslims to prove their devotion, and the apathy of many “Christians” who think they are saved regardless.  So who is right?  What did Jesus say?  “Enter through the narrow gate.  For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it… “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.   Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’  Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’” (Matt. 7)    The beauty of knowing Jesus is that, through repentance and faith, our salvation is secure because He took the punishment for our sins.  We are freed to live a life of gratitude in service to Him, rather than a life of constantly wondering if we measure up to the religious demands of “Allah”.

No comments: