FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

Scriptural Meditation



10/15/15                      Dante                                  30’s
 
 
Do Christians meditate?

This question was asked of me toward the end of a long and philosophical conversation at the grocery store. I had just finished my shopping and thought I would reach out with the Gospel before checking out.

I talked with a thirty-something man named Dante, who told me he has rejected his Catholic upbringing and turned to eastern religions and philosophies. He had described his feeling of personal happiness as a result of meditation, and wondered if I practiced meditation as a Christian.

I told him my understanding of eastern meditation is that it is an attempt to empty one’s mind of all thoughts and desires, which is often believed to be a way to be less selfish and more humble (even though the purpose is greater personal happiness!)

As Christians we understand that we exist in a spiritual world, with various spiritual influences around us, so to empty our minds in this way would be to let down our defenses and expose ourselves to various falsehoods and evil spiritual influences.

Instead, our purpose is to meditate on God’s word so that our mind can be filled with His truth and promises and influence. Prayer is our response to meditating on God’s word as we seek to follow and obey Him and apply His word to our lives.

Our purpose in meditation is not to be self-fulfillment but God’s glory. As written in Psalm 119: “I meditate on your precepts, and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.”

No comments: