FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

Treasures



4/1/17                     Darren              25

They had been friends for twenty years, since grammar school.  Ten years ago, Darren’s friend became a Christian.  It changed his life, yet he has never reached out to Darren with the Gospel.  I had initiated a Gospel outreach conversation with Darren at a coffee shop, and, amazingly, after all these years, Darren had finally gotten curious enough to ask his friend about Christianity just the night before. He wanted to know how Christianity had changed his friend’s life.

Darren didn't get a straight answer from his friend, but he came to a conclusion he was satisfied with.  He told me "I can tell that going to church has changed my friend and helped him become a better person, but I am confident I can do the same thing on my own because I'm a pretty disciplined and strong willed person."

It turned out that Darren doesn't even believe in God.  At first I was excited to learn of the timing of his interest in Christianity and his question to his friend the night before.  But my excitement turned into disappointment at his friend's refusal or inability to give a clear or straight answer, or at least to bear witness to the power of God in his life rather than making it look as if he has changed himself or was changed by his church.  By the time I was able to talk to Darren, he was even more convinced he doesn't need God or religion to be successful in life.

Unexpectedly Darren told me he was on break from his job at a nearby store and had to get back to work.  I offered him some literature to help answer any questions he might have about God or Christianity, but he said "I'm pretty sure I won't have any questions, but if I ever do, I'll just ask my friend again."

Let's pray that he does, only this time that his friend will have followed our command to "…be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have."  (1 Peter 3)   As believers we all at least have the ability to testify to what God has been doing in our life, and with some preparation we can also be able to clearly share our Gospel treasure both with random strangers and with the people we call friends.

No comments: