FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

Why Did They Treat Jesus So Unfairly?



11/26/17          Barrabas          about 25

Why did they treat Jesus so unfairly?

A young man in the parking lot looked like he was in a big hurry to leave, but instead of opening his car door after I asked about his beliefs about life after death, he leaned up against the car and took some time to formulate his answer instead.

“On my better days I do believe in the idea of heaven and hell…”, he began, “…but I just can’t take it that seriously. I go to mass every Sunday, but I’m not sure I can really believe it all.”

We talked a while and he told me he believes in God but finds the story of the cross hard to accept. “Jesus was totally innocent. Who did Pontius Pilot think he was, that he could wash his hands of the whole situation? It just makes me mad when I hear the story during Lent every year.”

He – Joe – had a sort of righteous indignation that Jesus had suffered at the hands of such evil people. He didn't see the connection to his own sin, so I asked if he knew the story of Barabbas, how the custom was to release a prisoner every year during the time of Jesus’ trial, but instead of releasing the innocent man Jesus, they chose to release the murderer Barabbas instead. “As it turned out…” I said, “…it was like Jesus took Barabbas’ punishment in his place.”

“Right!” said Joe. “It was totally unfair! I just don’t get it!”

“But don’t you see? We all are guilty, just like Barabbas. Really, I am Barabbas. You are Barabbas. And Jesus took the punishment we deserve. Yes it was unfair - we should be punished instead of Jesus on that cross, but he took the punishment we deserve in our place.”

This was a new revelation to Joe. It reminded me of when the prophet Nathan spoke a parable to David, who became indignant at injustice only to realize the parable was about how he himself was the one who was unjust.

We continued talking through the Gospel, but Joe kept bringing the story of Barabbas back up, saying he had never thought of it that way before. He knew the story well from Lenten sermons, and I would be surprised if his priest hadn’t made the comparison before, but it seemed like Joe had suddenly seen himself in Barabbas’ place for the first time.

It was a reminder to me that even if people have heard the familiar stories of the Gospel numerous times before, it’s a story worth retelling. And sometimes, it’s a story that God uses to break through to the heart in fresh ways, if we are willing to repeat it.

No comments: