FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!
5/9/10 Dillon, 19
While out on my bike I found myself next to a skateboarder (Dillon) as he headed down the street, so as soon as we stopped at an intersection I asked if he had time for a few questions. "Until the bus gets here, sure. What kind of questions?" he said. "Oh about your beliefs about life and stuff. Like, would you say you have a purpose in life?" Dillon didn't really know, and this quickly led to a discussion of religion. He is in his first year of college, and has had some philosophy and humanities classes that had left him with a lot of questions. He doesn't believe there is any way to know if God exists. I asked "What would God have to do to convince you?" Dillon laughed - "He'd have to come to earth and read the Bible to me for forty days! So how about you, what do you believe?" he asked me. This gave me a good opportunity to correct the version of Christianity taught to him in his textbooks, that Christians just believe if they are good enough they go to heaven and if not they go to hell. Dillon had said that he didn't need the threat of hell or promise of heaven to be a good person, so I explained that real Christians, not just churchgoers, really understand that we have rebelled against a holy God and deserve His wrath and so we need His mercy. I said that atheists commit the same sin as Adam in the Garden of Eden, thinking they can be good people - "like God" - without God's help. Dillon felt like he has a more open mind than an atheist, but he understood my point. As his bus arrived he thanked me and said he really enjoyed our conversation, though he didn't feel he needed to take any further info.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome -- praying for Dillon!