FRONT PAGE - here you will find the last 20 postings about recent conversations. Please pray for these people!

Bursting Bubbles


 5/17/18       Griffin  (video)         about 27

I hate to burst bubbles, but sometimes it just must be done.

Griffin, a very friendly cyclist at a busy intersection, easily agreed to allow me to record our conversation, even though he was only on a quick break from work and had no idea what my questions would be about.

I asked about his spiritual beliefs and background, and found out that he considers himself a spiritual seeker and open to all religious beliefs in a non-committal sort of way.  I believe it was this same openness and spirit of curiosity and inclusivity that caused him to be so willing to talk about spirituality.

I find this same openness in many young people his age.  I wonder if the tragedy of 911 helped cause his generation to recognize the value of dialogue about religion, while at the same time also being wary of the dangers of religious extremism or even just a solid faith commitment.  I think that that despite Griffin’s openness to talking to people of many religious persuasions, he is not open to commit to one himself.

So what was the bubble I think I had to burst?  I knew Griffin had little time to talk, but in that short time I had the sens  It’s kind of a secular, civil religion based on being nice and doing good, minus the religious belief.  If there actually is a judgment day of some sort, Griffin believes the scale of justice will lean heavily toward the side of all the good he does.
e that he believes himself to be an outgoing, friendly, kind, and reasonable person, not committed to religion but committed to helping others such as a soup kitchen he talked about.

But will it?  James 4:17 says “If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them.”  

I believe this to be a very significant verse, because not only does it help us see that the good we neglect to do is sinful, but it also mentions the fact that there is good we OUGHT to do.  We don’t earn points, or God’s favor, for doing what He rightfully expects us to do.  We are simply to do good because we should use our God-given gifts and talents in a way that gives God glory.  We are being human the way we were created to be.

The bad news is we can’t use the good we ought to do anyway to “pay” for the sins we ought not to do.  The balance scales of justice are leaning off the charts in the wrong direction.  We are all morally bankrupt on judgement day.

I told this bad news to Griffin, friendly as he was, to “burst his bubble” of belief about what a good, moral person he thought he was.  I think he got the point but, unfortunately, was late to get back to work and had to get going.

Do I enjoy being the bearer of bad news and bursting bubbles like this?  Many would say I was being unloving, hateful even.  I sure wasn’t being the happy-go-lucky, kind, friendly person the secular religion might say I should be.  I believe I was showing love – but a tough love that puts the long-term welfare of others before the temporary feelings of personal affirmation they might give me.  

Let’s pray that Griffin finds the good news of salvation in Jesus that he can only find through the bad news of awareness of his own sin and need for repentance.

(P.S.  I invite you to “sit in” on my conversation with Griffin!  Watch it on YouTube HERE )

No comments: